Tuesday 2 December 2014

My True State : Maharaj says...


There is happiness and unhappiness in this world only because this consciousness of I am. This consciousness of I am is the world. With the touch of this I am consciousness, this world comes into existence. Without the I am consciousness you are untouched or absolutely pure. This consciousness of I am, there is no reason or cause for it, it has just simply appeared. It comes and goes. It is impermanent. So how did I come to call myself or know myself as Siddha or accomplished? It is because of my knowledge or firm conviction that everything exists because of me, everything including this world depends on me, and not vice-versa.

I say, have respect for the Guru or God. And who is the Guru or God? The I am consciousness in its pristine purity is the Guru or God - Once you have respect for this, it will reveal all the necessary knowledge to you and you will then understand that You are beyond this "I" consciousness. You have to suffer and enjoy the consequences of this I am consciousness, there is no choice to it at all. Whatever I did not have before the birth of the I am consciousness is going to go away at death. In truth, the I am consciousness was never there, so when it goes away what do I lose? Do I die, or do I remain what I ever have been? There in That state, there is no "God" - no sense of separateness at all, no I am.

Without the intellect you know, or you are, the true state. But as soon as the intellect comes into play it is the operation of the I am consciousness. My true state is always without this I am consciousness - so if you live with this Knowledge, you won't be always thinking about death and contemplating death, and hence you will live longer physically as your mind and body will be free of unnecessary tensions, thoughts and beliefs. To understand this knowledge you need only a very pure and simple faith. I am not the result of any union between human beings, my true state is not born at all, for how can Truth or Reality change or undergo birth and death? If it does, it cannot be Truth. How to use this power of discrimination?

Lord Krishna said these same things 5000 years ago. Where is Lord Krishna now? And what happened to that time 5000 years ago? Where is it? It has gone, it has vanished, so why bother about all this, what the Scriptures have said, etc. Your true state is beyond this. Unless the knowledge of I am or Guru's grace blesses you, you will not be able to comprehend your true nature.

Even this I am consciousness does not really need anything. Your true state is beyond this I am and it has no needs, no requirements at all. In the time of Krishna there were also good people and bad people just as there are today, now they have gone. Where have they gone? Where did they come from in the first place? In truth there was no cause for their appearance, and if there is no cause there is no effect also. They have never existed in reality at all, they were only an appearance on the Reality. Existence itself is only an imagination - similarly with al of you here now listening to me. You should use this power of discrimination always, and find out in truth whether you really are a person. If you truly inquire you will find that you were never a person at all. Even the "Great Cause" or Creator finally is only a word. The "Great Cause" is the I am consciousness.

When you are an individual you have certain needs, but when you merge into the Self you no longer have these desires. When man becomes a jnani he loses all sense of being an individual and he moves about freely without any hopes or fears, he becomes completely fearless and without any desires. It is not the ears that hear or the eyes that see; the body by itself is insentient, it is the Self within that gives the feeling of being alive to the body. The body is only the instrument of the Self, it is not the Self. So long as you have the body consciousness or idea you will be subject to happiness and unhappiness, but if the body idea leaves you, even now while you are in the body, the happiness and unhappiness will also go, and you will be left with your true nature which is at all times complete and has no needs. For the realized man there is no such thing as body, mind, intellect, etc., for all these are only ideas. I don't even have the idea that by giving this knowledge I am doing good to the world. No such ideas of good and bad; no such distinctions and motives are with me. I am completely free of all false notions and ideas. That we are acting and talking here is only because of our consciousness of I am. This consciousness of I am is illusory and completely unreal to the jnani. Ultimately, until you can leave off completely the feeling of personality, you will not be able to fully comprehend the Absolute Reality. You are bound by this sense of being a person, even though this thread of a personality may be very thin, however, even then this bondage of personality is ultimately illusory.

All I am doing here is waking you up, calling "wake up, you have been dreaming!" That you are awake and are a person in a world - when you have any sense of personality like this, you are quite obviously fast asleep and dreaming although you falsely feel that you are awake. True awakening is to awaken to Reality and to know that you are not a person, and never have been a person. A person has needs and desires, but the Reality needs nothing at all, for this is your true state. It is not because I tell you, that you are the Reality. Even if I don't tell you, still you are the Reality. It is there with you at all times, a self evident fact. Whatever powers or Siddhis come to you from this knowledge, don't become involved with them, negate them immediately and remain merged in your true nature. Do whatever you want in this world, but don't lose your Identity - that is that you have no identity at all.

So with this knowledge, when I die, what happens? What I never really had goes away, what was never mine leaves me, so what have I lost? What really happens to me with the physical death? Nothing at all! Do anything you want to in this world, but be with your Self, your True nature, don't forget It, be with It, dwell with It. It is bliss Itself, it is not the nature of bliss.

I have been talking and discussing so many things here, and if you feel that you still have to go and get spiritual advice or instruction from some other teacher, then you have not understood anything that I have said here. Do not unnecessarily run after or make friends with outside things or persons, but rather remain with your own Self, nature or Reality. The idea of birth and death is nothing more than a drama or play, it has no basis in Truth, don't bother about it - it is illusory, all these ideas are illusory!

Nisargadatta Maharaj

0 comments:

Search

Popular Posts

About Nisargadatta Maharaj

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj was an Indian spiritual teacher and philosopher of Advaita (Nondualism), and a Guru, belonging to the Navnath Sampradaya. Sri Nisargadatta, with his direct and minimalistic explanation of non-dualism, is considered the most famous teacher of Advaita since Ramana Maharshi. In 1973, the publication of his most famous and widely-translated book, "I AM THAT", an English translation of his talks in Marathi by Maurice Frydman, brought him worldwide recognition and followers.

According to Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, the purpose of spirituality is simply to know who you are. His discussions are not for academic scholars. He is a rebellious spirit, abrupt in his style of discussion, provocative, and immensely profound, cutting to the core and wasting little effort on inessentials. He talked about the 'direct way' of knowing the Final Reality, in which one becomes aware of one's original nature through mental discrimination, breaking the mind's false identification with the ego, knowing that "You are already That".

Join Group

Join the most active discussion group of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj.
Click here to join now
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts